Search This Blog

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Pulau Ketam, where Time stands still ....



I boarded the new KTMB train from Subang Jaya to Port Klang for an adventure at Pulau Ketam on 19 July 2012 at 10.35am. Adventure at Pulau Ketam!! As if I don’t know that Pulau Ketam is the nearest fishing village from Kuala Lumpur, so what kind of adventure can I experience on this small desolate island – riding a bicycle at top speed 100kilometers an hour, building a boat in a day or catching a blue marlin. How I wish I can do any of these crazy things on Pulau Ketam!! Well, in the meantime, I will enjoy myself on this slow one hour journey to Port Klang station with a few stops along the way
The New KTM train
The train to Port Klang
The Ladies coach


Electronic Route board
Still the 'old' train ticket !!
Clean, bright & most important 'safe' Ladies Coach

Arrived at Port Klang Railway Station
Port Klang Railway Station is the last station
At the Port Klang jetty, a stone way from the Railway Station, there is no crowd of passengers to Dumai and Tanjung Balai Asahan, in Sumatra, Indonesia. Anyway, 19 July 2012 is a Thursday and the time is mid-morning!!
Port Klang jetty for ferry to Pulau Ketam, Dumai & Tanjung Balai
The passage to the Pulau Ketam ferry is located just beside the Passenger Cruise Terminal; hence no Indonesians and Malaysian Custom officers looking at me walking leisurely towards the air-conditioned ferry. So I can’t visual myself walking on a Runaway to become Asia’s Next Top Model with Tyra Banks as my mentor. 
Air-conditioned ferry to Pulau Ketam
 I had a few brief claustrophobic sensations during my 30 minutes journey to the Pulau Ketam jetty. It occurred with only about 7 persons on board, no screaming babies and no hyperactive toddlers. Imagine if this ferry is filled to the brim with maximum 24 persons. If that happens, it will be like ‘a journey to hell’ on a ‘Ferry of Death’. 
24 seater ferry to Pulau Ketam
The interior of the air-conditioned ferry to Pulau Ketam
Maybe next time, I will opt for a speed boat – pay more but I am assure of my sanity. Otherwise, I will travel on a relatively slower wooden boat. 

The Speed Boat to Pulau Ketam
The wooden boat to Pulau Ketam
 Once I am safe on land at the Pulau Ketam jetty, the first impression is the rows and rows of bicycles, the main mode of transport 

Bicycles at Pulau Ketam Jetty
If I’ll bring my motorized bicycle, I’ll be the envy of every Ah Chong and Ah Moi on Pulau Ketam. I guess a Fixie bicycle is not practical as the passage is so narrow with people walking, cycling and riding a motor cycle. 

Another lasting impression is the whole of Pulau Ketam is built on stilts.

A 'halal' Restoran Kuai Lok Hin at Pulau Ketam
Pulau Ketam Village Hospital
A Fisherman's home at Pulau Ketam
A Fishing factory at Pulau Ketam
The people here are so carefree, going about their own life as if times stand still. 

Playing table football at Pulau Ketam
Playing manjung at mid-morning at Pulau Ketam
Village shop at Pulau Ketam
A lady manning own stall at Pulau Ketam
Ladies removing shells of shrimps at Pulau Ketam
Chopping woods for praying items
Occasionally, I can hear some of these villagers karaoke from their beautiful, modern and spick-span clean houses - at 1.30pm!! Shouldn’t they be listening to the TV3 news and be devastated at the world beyond the bountiful fishing ground of Pulau Ketam? They even know how to recycle and not waste of God’s gifts.  The wonder of these Pulau Ketamites, not like me - a KLite!! 

Modern fisherman's home at Pulau Ketam
Modern fisherman's home at Pulau Ketam
Recycle at Pulau Ketam
Dried shrimps at door step at Pulau Ketam
Of course, the best part of the village tour is the picturesque coastal fishing village of Bagan Teochew, one of the districts in Pulau Ketam comprising Jalan Besar, Jalan Timur, Sungai Satu, Sungai Dalam and Sungai Seberang. The First Bridge connects East Pulau Ketam and West Pulau Ketam with Sungai Kelong being the island's busiest river. At high tide, I can imagine large number of fishing vessels docking around here. What a perfect sight for photographer and artist!!

Me and my Sifu's wife at First Bridge at Pulau Ketam
Sungai Kelong at Pulau Ketam
Sungai Kelong at Pulau Ketam
Sungai Kelong at Pulau Ketam
Bagan Teochew at Pulau Ketam
Before I left Pulau Ketam, I had a simple lunch at the only halal Restoran Kuai Lok Hian with a promise on my next trip, I will try their curry crab and the shaved ice cream dessert, block flavored / colored ice shaved into layers and drizzled with topping of your choice.

I took the 3.15pm ferry back to Port Klang which made a brief stop at the Sungai Lima Village jetty to pick up some guests and goods. I understand from the ferry operator that this village is where the wooden fishing boat is being built. Alright, a reason for me to return to Pulau Ketam and explore Sungai Lima village, maybe spend a night or two at Pulau Ketam village!! I shall return ….

Sungai Lima jetty
Sungai Lima jetty
With these experiences, I have developed some packages to Pulau Ketam - Day trip, Fishing and the very special 'Artist Workshop at Pulau Ketam', please surf our website litourssb.com for more details. There are more photos in our Company Facebook page - Leisure & Incentive Tours Sdn Bhd. Otherwise, call me (Miss Wan) at Leisure & Incentive Tours Sdn Bhd 03-2260 2667 / 4667 or email at leisureincentivetours@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment